Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Phase Two

It has been a really, really, really long time since I last posted. Ugh. I have to admit that it was not out of laziness or lack of interest. No, I didn't post for such an elongated period of time because I was finishing my last class before my comprehensive exams and then the comps themselves. The class was called "Jesus and Paul" and I wrote about the continuity between these two giants of the Christian religion.

As for the comps, I had five: Greek Reading, NT Methods, NT Theology, History of NT Research, and NT Intro. I spent the most time preparing for the Greek exam, which was still a bit hard. The Methods exam was the most difficult of the other four but I probably spent more time preparing for the NT Theology exam since I've never had a class devoted solely to the subject in general (I have had a few more specialized NT Theology classes, such as "Paul and the Law"). Anyway, I completed all five tests in twenty days or so and then about ten days after that found out that I passed!

So now I'm on to Phase Two of the PhD program here at Fuller. This quarter I'm TAing for two courses (NT survey courses) and beginning the work toward my Dissertation Proposal. I'll officially submit my Proposal at the end of the next quarter but I hope to get most of the bibliographic work finished in the next few weeks.

Also, I would like to post here a bit more regularly. I think I may start with a review or two that may be of interest to a few people out there in the world of the interwebs. Until then, God bless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!! That's gotta be an awesome feeling. And welcome back to the blogging game :)

Check out my UCLA colleague's blog, who just started this month.

J. Matthew Barnes said...

Thanks Pat! I'm so ready to get back to keeping up with research. I feel like I've been out of the loop for months now...